9.30.2009

Wind Energy: Cheaper than the Standard Electric Mix

wind_turbine_green
Updated March 31, 2010
We'd been buying 100% wind-generated electricity from Commerce Energy. Last month we paid 11.2 cents per kilowatt hour, which is less than the 11.97 cents per kWh that our distributor BGE charged for their standard mix of power sources including fossil fuels. When the last yearly contract ended, they switched us to month-to-month pricing, varying with the market. So I compared our options. (In Maryland and D.C., electricity is deregulated so you can choose your energy provider, while your energy distributor stays the same.)

I had read that Greenbelt Homes Inc., a co-op known for its practical citizenry, recommends a company called Clean Currents to their residents at http://ghi.coop/SDP/choosegreenpower.pdf. Clean Currents was listed on BGE's site for me to consider, so I did at http://www.cleancurrents.com/index.php/C-Green-Overview. And I chose to switch to them with a fixed two-year contract of 100% wind at 10.8 cents per kilowatt hour.

Last time I renewed our wind energy contract it cost more than the previous year, which surprised me, but I went ahead anyway. We're investing in clean energy as a practical matter and on principle. I've been pleased to notice more companies such as Pepco and Clean Currents offering wind power since then. I look for the Green-e certification for a respected third-party confirmation that a company is doing alternative energy right. This time we are able to save money over conventional sources. 100% wind electricity now feels really good in terms of both carbon neutrality and wallet leniency.

1 comment:

Agate said...

I think you can switch with another Cheapest electricity providers actually, Thanks for sharing.